Monday, May 2, 2011

bin Laden Killed

I haven't written in a while, but I just couldn't pass this one up. We can't possibly know what will happen tomorrow, next week, or next year, but for now, we celebrate, because there is a special significance in Osama Bin Laden's death. This man who orchestrated the deaths of thousands of Americans can never cause destruction or death again. A lot of people have been posting quotes on facebook but I think Mark Twain's resonates: "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

I'm glad Obama didn't speak in front a live crowd while making the announcement tonight; there was an important solemnity and he was right to temper his words. That being said, today is a day for celebrating.

3 comments:

  1. the whole set-up of his speech, random hallway, nobody beside him, in a tone of somebody who was happy but till had much work to do . . . was beter than the speech itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the set-up was kind of ridiculous. Especially when they zoomed out on him walking down the hallway with his back turned. It felt very Hollywood and that at any moment the music to "Shack" was going to start playing.

    ReplyDelete